Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Chicago and Detroit. June 2005

Hi All,


"WELCOME TO THE WEEK THAT WAS",

Sorry I've been a bit quiet of late,  I've been travelling around the top half of the US of A.



For those of you who have to travel with work you'll understand [I think], for those of you who don't, just try and picture this. [just try].



You know when you wake up on the morning you travel and you pack your bag [you just can't wait to get away from the she devil]!. You have 5 days of travelling so 6 pairs of undies just in case, [think about what your Grannie used to say], 6 shirts, 3 ties, shoes, socks etc etc.


Then the toilet bag, razor, smellies, moisturizer, blood pressure pills [to get over the she devil] etc etc.



Well you have to think differently when travelling to Detroit. My favourite city?!


I wake up and think DETROIT [oh shit why me], ok, undies [ 8 pairs, you know your going to need them], shirts, ties, steel cap boots, bullet proof vest, gun & holster, bullet proof rental car.

Toilet bag is replaced by all of the above plus a full triage bag including defibrillator, blood clotting agents etc etc.

It is still the only city that scares me! It is still the only city that I can get thoroughly lost in!  Roads signs don't make sense and come hell or high water you don't stop and ask for directions. Even of the police [they are just weary of everybody, you can't blame them] they shoot first and then find alibi's later.

I had to spend two days in Chicago, which was great as I got to see allot of the central city. Well as my old mate "Ol Blue Eyes" said [Frank Sinatra slow ones] own words, "Chicago, Chicago Its My Kind Of Town". Quite frankly its beautiful [for those who have been there you understand]. The architecture in downtown is fantastic, there's a series of rivers [you can take river taxi's] and the whole city is very clean. And to top it of they have 100 world rated 5-star restaurants, and they are building restaurants at a rate of 2 per week [mind boggling really].

I was visiting the NeoCon designer show [a 12 story building full of the most fantastic of new innovations in all things designer and architectural].

Both these cities have water fronts [only they are fresh water lakes] however so large that when you fly across them you fly for nearly 45 minuets to get the other side.

We are experiencing some good old big country weather.The short lived but very violent storms, thunder & lightning are fascinating and fantastically dramatic [fork & amp; sheet lightning and thunder like you have never heard] and all during a heat wave as we have not had the temperature below 24 degrees c, even at night.

I had a fairly exciting flight into Detroit were I am positive that the plane was struck by lightning, I have never heard a more deafening bang inside an aircraft in my life [it had to be into Detroit didn't it]. Just so you can feel sorry for me here is one day in the travel of.

Wake up at 5.30am, catch shuttle to Detroit Metro airport. Get treated like you have just arrived at Guam Tana-mo Bay [I apparently look like a terrorist], get to gate to find that everything is ready, [except no one told the co-pilot that he had a flight]. Leave one hour late fly to Milwaukee, Wisconsin [not so bad as you change time zones, and arrive not long after you leave]. Do a full days business then catch a flight back. This leaves at 8pm however no one told the maintenance dept that the plane was due to fly out so you leave an hour late. Arrive Detroit [again????] at 1am. Wait 1 hour for hotel shuttle. [then wait another half an hour as they discuss the legal aspects of getting an overweight american woman into the coach without a crane [my advise & dialogue at this point didn't help, and Rick can you help me out I need an attorney]



Anyway I am bloody tired now so am going to go to sleep [that's that thing you normal people do]. I have to go to Cleveland, Ohio and then Buffalo, New York tomorrow.



More adventures to look forward to consist of California and London. Of which I have to visit both in the next couple of weeks. So stay tuned for more adventures from the Toronto Kid.



Oh shit I forgot, had a huge night out on the go go juice last weekend, I managed to bump into the English rugby team [minus the Lion's Lad's] at a bar owned by a Kiwi [Martin McScimmins, a bad mix, and meant for a large night], one of the English team was a Kiwi from Wellington [Perry Freshwater] great guy. Many Haka's later and some good old english ribbing and all was well.



That's all for now, and as for you useless ones who don't email back, it won't kill you, IT's NOT LIKE

YOUR TRAVELLING IN DETROIT OR ANYTHING?



Love to you all,

Toronto Pip.



__________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment