Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cookbook Store Windows

I'm just back from doing my finale Christmas window at the Cookbook Store in Yorkville, Toronto. (Now back at home we've just watched Mac take off on Air NZ from snowbound Vancouver on Flight Tracker.)
 Cookbook Store at the corner of Yonge and Yorkville St, Toronto; Julie and Amy.

Its my third Xmas window, my first was back in 2005. Putting the Xmas windows in on the same day as the Santa Parade and an early snowfall signals the start of the season. Walking home tonight past the huge lit tree erected across from Holt Renfrew's great windows made me think nostalgically of the other winter Xmas' we've spent up here in the snow.
Based on the idea of an Advent Calendar with 24 windows I sewed this drop from plastic sheeting and orange cargo straps from the Dollar store.

Tonight I had the help of Visual Merchandising student Amy who did the side window and brain stormed the concept with me last week. I chose bright orange to complement the red of the store and to wake up the Yonge-Yorkville corner with an unconventional combo. Using rubbish bags and spray painted tomato frames I made my Xmas trees for two bucks each, my stars are hot glued knives and forks from the Dollar store.

Working at the store 2005- 2007 was a fab entree into the world of food, foodies and food writing. Meeting many top chefs and tv cooking personalities, who all adore the charm Alison and Jennifer bring to this mecca of books, has been a privilege and so much fun.

2005 Xmas; 2006 Valentines Day
2006 Xmas feature polystyrene cups and lime green color shots.
June Bridal Gown made from cooking magazine pages for the Gay Pride Parade 2006
Asparagus painting for Bonnie Stern in Spring 2006; Dining at home Window 2006.
 Nigella Lawson launches her new TV programme 'Nigella Feasts' October 2006 at the store . I did the window in conjunction with the Food Network with furniture from Pottery Barn.

Spring 2010 Herb Garden Window with product supplied by Sheridan Nurseries on Yonge Street.

I love windows and am forever sneaking pics inside and outside fav stores like Anthropologie.

No comments:

Post a Comment