Saturday, February 19, 2011

Oysters

Les huîtres fraîches de la baie. (Fresh Oysters from the bay) Morning tea in the sun.
Gorgeous weekend at the Heads spent hunting and gathering. We had more success with the gathering than hunting and last night feasted on rock oysters I'd gathered during the day and smoked pipi's from the nearby sandbank dug at low tide and a little smoked Marlin gifted by a neighbour.A cool chardonnay accompanied by a fresh oyster (or six) in the evening sunshine on the poop deck, then a little golden smoked pipi atop cream cheese on a cracker chased with a slice of marlin on aioli is quite divine.God I do love New Zealand. Its really quite sensational!

Much to Pips annoyance I got him to haul out the old windsurfer board so I could try my hand at stand up paddleboarding (SUP)! Soo cool. Once you get your balance sorted its a great way to get a serious lower body muscles workout. Our old superstar is a bit narrow and tippy for more than paddling around the bay but I love it! Skimming over the water steering with your feet, swishing either side with the long paddle, you get a great view of the stingrays cruising the bay.

Pip sulla moto; Julie sulla  moto d'acqua, Suzie sulla kayak, Pip sulla moto d'acqua!. (sulla is on the in Italian)

Just found these pics (abive) from our weekend at Whangapoua where all things motorised are in favour. I'm really more of a kayak girl and Pip, Shona and I have kayaked each morning loving the super high tide the full moon brings and the calm morning sea and soft air.

No comments:

Post a Comment