Thursday, April 10, 2014

Another Day another Duck!

Bugger! My heart fell at the sight of another duckling flopped on the front lawn, both dogs circling. Neither giving the game away.

Cradling the little dead thing in my arms I realised yet again that since coming to live in the country I'd held well over 10 dead animals or birds in my hands. Life and Death. I am coming to terms with it in a very real way. I love these creatures while they are alive like treasured little parts of the family. But once dead, my pioneer spirit rises and my need to turn valuable game into delectable fare comes to the fore.

 
This second plucking, using the hot water and dish liquid method was much quicker. (Simply dunk and swirl your bird in hot water 150F that has a good slosh of dish liquid. Hold head in one hand, grasp feathers and rip downwards in direction of growth.) I gutted the bird with one single swoop of my fingers inside the cavity this time. After a day drying out in the fridge, uncovered, I quartered and used the same Nigel Slater inspired dish as before. Oh me of little faith added to chicken quarters to the pot just in case as there were three of us. They made a nice lunch next day!

               *This last picture shows the quartered bird browned and ready for braising in the oven.

 After checking we found the electric fence was shorting and not shocking as it should hence said dogs or said ducks have ventured into territory not conducive to duck longevity. As I write the fence is back to its shocking best! Fingers crossed it stays that way. I don't think I'm up to another plucking this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment