Thursday, April 3, 2014

Fire Fire Dailling 111

 

I was just thinking how gorgeous life in the country is, as I wandered out to my 'Ugly Shed' to do some work, when sniff sniff...I smelt woodsmoke!

In a nanosecond I realised that the whole valley was wreathed in thick smoke billowing all over the place in the light breeze. Leaping up on top of the stile for a higher view, I saw smoke was coming from the direction of an unoccupied house up the hill from us. With more speed than agility I hurdled the neighbours fence and puffed up the hill under her pines to find the source crackling away amongst dense native bush behind the lovely old home. Calling out across the property I got no response.

Diving back into the neighbours home I dialled 111 and told my story which was hindered severely by not being able to give the address of the fire. Racing back home I grabbed the dogs and keys and shot up the road to find the driveway of the property. Still no sign of the Fire Engine. Once I'd noted the address I shot back to my neighbours, called 111 to be told the engine was on site. Well derrr.. no it wasn't, because by then I'd clambered back up the hill and called while standing watching the smoke billowing out of the bush unhindered.

Finally a very handsome...! fireman arrived at my neighbours and we both sprinted back up the property so he could leap the fence and find the fire source and direct the engine in.

By then the smoke was abating and we ascertained that there was a gardener on the property. I apologised to the Fireman who, in no uncertain terms, said, "You did exactly what we want people to do. Always call us first". He reiterated that we do have a fire ban, we are in a worse drought than last year and the stand of bush encloses several houses. He took the call very seriously.

Relieved I retreated home for a cuppa and quietly observed that there is never a dull moment living this rural life. Just yesterday Pip drove out our driveway at 6am to find it blocked by two ambulances with lights flashing. Neighbour Barb was off to hospital with a dislocated hip!

Hopefully my afternoon in "Ugly shed" will be uneventful. 




No comments:

Post a Comment